Discover the Local Area
The village of St. Nikolai in the “Sausal” Mountains is not only an excellent starting point to explore the wine-growing area in South Styria, but also to discover numerous visitor attractions.
The insider’s tip „Sausal“ – a little piece of heaven on earth devoted to the beautiful side of life. Charming vineyards, mythical places, a paradise for connoisseurs and nature lovers.
Visitor attractions in the surroundings
- Wine Roads: “Sausaler Weinstraße”, “Südsteirische Weinstraße”, “Schilcher Weinstraße”
- Things to see and do in Southern Styria
- “Löscher” Craft Brewery in St. Nikolai in the “Sausal” Mountains (with more than 50 beer types, ranging from “Flamberger” beer to organic beer)
- “Erinnerungshof Hermann” in St. Nikolai – one of the most astonishing private museums in Styria
- Seggau Castle (11.5 km) – wine tastings and guided tours
- Graz, the Styrian capital (35 km) – idyllic old town; European Cultural Capital in 2003
- The Arnold Schwarzenegger Museum in Thal/Graz is Arnold´s birthplace. It is the official and worldwide only museum that is bearing his name and is supported by the man himself.
- STUNT.AT Adrenalinpark: 25.000 sqm climbing and sports adventures in the high-rope climbing garden, slackline parcours and much more. For young and old, for professional and occasional sportsmen in Kalsdorf (28 km)
- “Lipizzaner Stud Farm Piber” (48 km): Discover the oldest cultural horse breed in Europe. Only the best stallions from Piber present the lessons of the High School in the Spanish Riding School in Vienna.
- Maribor in Slovenia (49 km) – European Youth Capital in 2013 and European Cultural Capital in 2012
- “Zotter“ Chocolate Factory (59.5 km) with showroom, shop and organic farm with animals, among many other attractions
- Riegersburg and the Styrian volcanic area (63.5 km) – local craft, art history and cultural highlights
Bathing Lakes and Spas
It takes only 5 minutes to get to the idyllic “Waldschacher See” Lake for swimming, windsurfing and sailing. “Herzogteich” pond, which is only a stone’s throw away, is a marvellous place for Anglers.
In winter or when the weather is bad, you find several spa centres in Styria providing pleasures of bathing, for example “Parktherme” Aquatic Centre in Bad Radkersburg, which is only 58 km away from St. Nikolai.